Monday, February 2, 2009

February 1, 2009: The Walking Dead

I arose at 10:30 after a sub-par four and a half hour sleep. The previous night had taken its toll.

I checked out of the hostel and sat with a coffee, a water and a pen scribing away about my adventures last night. I used the computer that they have at the hostel to do the internet thing and then headed out for some food. My goal for today was to not break the bank and to not walk too much because I had this odd pain in my knee. I enjoyed some Subway and stumbled into a museum dedicated to Max Bill, a famous architect, designer and typographer. This would have been Tyler’s dream museum as it was filled with technical drawings, architectural models and industrially inspired furniture. Among the drawings were the best technical drawing of a shot glass that I have ever seen and a full size hand drawn construction drawing of a chair. This guy was really good.

I stopped by the train station for a bit and was met by the police riot squad. Apparently whenever there is a soccer game they fill the train station with riot cops to stop any funny-business.

I had six hours before my train left so I decided to go on a walk through Bürgerpark, the biggest park in Bremen. This was quite nice and gave me a chance to reflect on my trip to Europe thus far. I walked for three hours and returned to the train station tired and just wanting to go home. I still had three hours to go. I sat patently in the wating room and when that closed I proceeded to go to the train station stores and entertain my self by looking at their wares.

Finally the train arrived and I was on my way home. The transfer to the local train that takes me to where I live was quick and all was well until at 1:00 I missed my train station. This was no good because I had no idea when the next train was coming in the other direction at 1:00 on a Monday morning. Anyways I caught the next train at 1:08 and was home by 1:30. I arrived and fell into my bed.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you wanted to avoid walking and so you walked three hours in a park.

    ReplyDelete