Monday, January 5, 2009

January 4, 2009

My legs hurt. Over the past couple days I have been walking for hours each day usually after taking the wrong tram or bus and trying to get back where I should be. My terrible sense of direction has really given me a work out. Today I got up at 11am after briefly (for 2 hours) getting up at 4am to eat some food and watch CNN. It turns out that despite me being proud of being able to order a coffee in German it may not be the best thing ever if I drink the coffee late at night.

 

Today I went to K21, the museum of modern art here in Düsseldorf. The basement had a massive display of Lawrence Weiner’s art. He was a painter, doodler and word artist from the 70’s and 80’s who made some really interesting art. The rest of the museum contained some of the strangest art that I have ever seen including a fake forest with TV’s dispersed between the leaves all playing a strange synthesized version of a 1970’s TV show. There was also a sculpture of a giant mouse (5’ tall) standing on top of a man lying down in bed. Another of my favorites was a hairy Italian man curled up the fetal position in a blanket like a baby. Half way up one of the staircases was a doll with a face made of white material with an LCD projector projecting a movie of a ladies face onto the doll. The lady was making sounds as if she was being operated on and making the respective faces. It was a great day of modern art, German Subway, trams and altbier. Tomorrow is my first day of work; I am very excited.

 

2 comments: