Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 15, 2009: English spoken and Belgium broken

Here I am again, another great day in Germany. Today I had the opportunity to correspond with my colleagues in Calgary and get the inside scoop on a project I am working on. This means I can finally start what I am meant to do at work. I read lots of documents today and managed to fit some drafting in too. Today my boss sat down at his desk and casually lit his pipe. This is fine in Germany. He makes smoking look bad ass, don’t worry mom I am not going to pick it up.

 

After work was when my fun began. I went out shopping at the bargin store for my groceries and managed to pick up a surprising amount for 25 Euro. I then went next door, to the more expensive grocery store, and picked up what I thought were the ingredients for Nanaimo bars. Turns out what I thought was graham cracker crumbs was sugar, bummer. I got home ate some food and headed out to meet some actual English speaking people.

 

I showed up at O’Rielly’s Irish Pub at around 9:30 and the place was already shoulder-to-shoulder young English speaking people. One guy immediately grabbed my hand and began introducing me to all sorts of people for the US, Germany, Belgium and the UK. It was a great time; I met some new people and exchanged some email addresses. It turns out that this is a regular event; I will be sure to be a regular. After these shenanigans I went to the train station to head home. There was a deal on train tickets to Belgium, so I bought some. I am leaving this Saturday at 6:40am and returning Sunday at 16:30. Boo Yeah.

1 comment: