Saturday, January 3, 2009

January 1st: A NEW HOME

On the first of January I moved into my new house, Freiligrathring 19, Ratingen. I took a cab from the DJH Hostel to my new house. My new landlord Mr. Grossman was there to meet me. My little slice of heaven in about 40 m^2 and has a small mudroom right at the front door with a tiny kitchen that has a sink, oven/stove, fridge and all sorts of small appliances including an egg boiler.

 

After moving in I decided to take a look around the town of Ratingen. I started my tour with the main street. It turns out that people in Germany take their New Years quite seriously and thus there is very little open New Years Day. I did however find one small cafĂ©/bakery that was open and since I had no food decided to go in and check it out. I went in and immediately eyed a loaf of what looked to be sourdough bread with a light flour dusting; the sign above it said 1.90 Euro.  I picked up the loaf along with some apricot jam for 2.95 Euro and headed for the till. The lady rang through the loaf . . . 12.50!! I could not believe it and I only had 10 Euro left, I then began my feeble German attempt at telling her that I wanted to get a smaller loaf. It turns out that she thought that I was handicapped and let me have the loaf and the jam for only 10 Euro. I got home and realized that it was actually a Christmas loaf filled with marzipan. It was both the most expensive and most tasty bread I have ever had.

1 comment: