Wednesday, January 14, 2009

January 12, 2009: I Fall in Love

Today I was given the task of drafting up a new prototype at work; but I did not have CAD! No problem, I would draft this by hand, it can’t be that hard. I proceeded to sketch out some rough shapes but could not line anything up properly with out a ruler. I headed to the supply room and there she was, the Rotring Geometry Set Square with Handel. This is by far the best ruler that I have ever used. For four hours today I was making drawings for this project and literally every fifteen minutes I found a new feature, a new scale in a place I had never seen one before, lines to measure distances between parallel lines, a scale set in the center of the ruler to evenly space objects from a midpoint; she had it all.

 

After work I went to the discount grocery store that Julia, the Dynetek secretary, had told me about. The prices were the best that I had seen yet in Germany so I picked up a large thing of spatsel, milk, bread and 30 Toffifies all for less the 5 Euro. One thing that has been hard for me to adjust to in Germany is the brutal speed at which German cashiers operate. There is a small 2 square foot platform behind the cashier where the groceries go after they are scanned. You are expected to as quickly as possible put all the scanned items back into your cart without bagging them, and pay about 20 times faster then in Canada. By the time the last item enters your cart the lady is halfway through the next persons order. That was all the fun and excitement that went down today, see you all tomorrow.

1 comment: