Sunday, January 11, 2009

January 10, 2009: Lazy day in Ratingen

Today was characterized by a mild hangover, waiting for prospective tenants for the summer to come by and a relaxing walk/photo shoot around town.

 

Last night was the company New Years party. We went to XXL Bowling in Dusberg. I am terrible at bowling and last night was no exception, I managed to not come in last and was satisfied. All night I managed to pick up pieces of what people were saying and even had some English conversation come my way. I got some lessons in German over dinner and even an invite to exchange German for English lessons with one of the Controllers, which I gladly accepted. I figured out that Germans know how to drink beer, I was drinking one for every two that the 70 year old company accountant that was sitting next to me was drinking. As a foreigner I was obliged to try out the different varieties of liquor native to the region. The most extreme of these being Killapish (I am not sure of the spelling), this drink was rumored to have been developed by two German guys in a bomb shelter during world war two with nothing better to do then mix the random containers of things in the basement together to make booze. The translation of the drink name is “killer drink” because the guys were drinking this before they thought they were going to die. Anyways it was a great night and I got a ride home, together with the company electrician, with Julia the secretary who lives close by. We got home quite late and I did not have time to write much yesterday.

 

Today I lazily awoke at 9:30, cleaned up the house and waited for the prospective tenents to arrive. They were going to be late to I headed to the local “Rewe” grocery store to beef up food stash for the coming week. I got 44 Euro worth of everything from schnitzel to sauerkraut and headed home. The people came by to check out the place then I went out again for some fresh air and to take some pictures. I went over the bridge by my house and discovered a new shopping center and a bike store that I did not know existed. I got home again and carefully crafted myself a dinner of chicken, pasta and vegetables. I have no Bob to share food with so half went into the fridge for tomorrow.

 

Tomorrow I am going to hopefully meet up with the climbers to hit up a wall in another city. If not I think that I am just going to take the train until it looks interesting and go explore. Ahhh Germany.

 

By the way my address here is

 

Freiligrathring 19a

40878 Ratingen Germany

 

If anyone wants to send fan mail

No comments:

Post a Comment