Sunday, March 29, 2009

March 28, 2009: Transit to Transit




Today I got up at 9:00 and made myself a wonderful breakfast. Fried eggs, hashbrowns and toast with cheese. The forecast was for lots of rain so the plan for today changed from biking to Wuppertal to taking the train. I took my sweet time getting ready and finally left at around 13:12.

 

Two trains and 45min later I arrived in Wuppertal, the home of the worlds oldest monorail. The monorail is really the only thing to see in Wuppertal. In fact, the Wikipedia article on the Wuppertal Schwebebahn is longer then the one on Wuppertal itself. I off of the train and stopped by the mall for some food. I only went to the mall because I wanted to get out of the rain. I got some döner and kiwi juice then headed out for some monorail!

 

The Wuppertal monorail is a suspended monorail that opened in the year 1901. It has 13.3km of track and is mostly suspended 12m above the river Wupper. It is really a sight to see. I paid my 2.20 Euro to ride the monorail and took a great trip from one end of the line to the other and back. The whole car tilts on the corners and the elevated position gives a great view of the city. The other neat thing about the monorail is that most of the stations are suspended above the river as well so while you wait for the monorail you can look down into the river.

 

I got off after I finished traveling the length of the track and luckily the sun came out to greet me. I decided to take advantage of the sun and walk along the Wupper and back to the main station to catch a train back to Ratingen. Sorry Wuppertal you are a bit of a one trick pony, you have your monorail, but what else?

 

I got back into town and I decided to go out and have a beer at the bar. I went to DasLiberty, the American Bar in town in hopes that there would be English people that I could talk to. Unfortunately I was not feeling up to approaching random groups of half-drunk people who may or may not speak my language in an attempt to make some friends and I promptly left after one beer.

 

I got home and hit the hay, after some Sypeing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment