Wednesday, March 25, 2009

March 24, 2009: The Little Raccoon that Could


According to Wikipedia it is illegal in Germany to house a raccoon in a pen by itself. You have to have two raccoons in order to prevent loneliness; it is true, look it up. I was sort of feeling like an illegal raccoon today. All day at work I only had business conversation, no talking about the weather or what people are doing on the weekend, just blankets of overheard audio noise and engineer valve talk.

It is a bit late to come to this conclusion but instead of attempting to wallow in self-pity, I am not very good at that, I am going to make a real effort to learn more German and make work the best part of my day. Of course the first step to having a good time is buy a bike, not really but that makes for a good segue into my next story. By the way that is one of the dumbest spellings for a word ever, did the Segway Corperation just steal the right spelling?

So I bought a bike today after work from the used bike store by the train station. I went all out. Her name is Helga, she is a three speed bike with hub gears, back-pedal brakes, a headlamp and taillight and it is a cool blue colour. To break her in I went for a ride to near by Homberg. It was a nice 5km on roadside bike trail. To celebrate making it there I stopped at the pub for a beer. Then I biked back in time for dinner, that I made. Bed time came swiftly after.

1 comment:

  1. Haha don't mock the English dictionary... and what did you name your bike?

    ReplyDelete