Saturday, March 28, 2009

March 27, 2009: Tom and Helga go for a Ride



I was productive at work today, got some quotes sent out for and gathered some more data for my work term report. I left work at 3pm. I wanted to take Helga (the name of my little blue bike out for a ride through the countryside.

 

I had no idea how nice the area right outside Ratingen was. I biked to the bike store and bought a helmet; it was more expensive then my bike. Then biked briefly along a secondary highway before going along the narrow cobblestone roads of the nearby hamlet of Homberg. I found the bike path that I was looking for and started on my way. The trail went through lush green farmers fields, then into a forest with a calm creek meandering through it. The whole time I was on a single lane cement path. Helga liked this.

 

I figured out how to use the gears on my bike. Old-fashioned hub gears do not like being shifted while pedaling, you have to stop pedaling and then shift. The path weaved through old looking farmer’s houses and gradually turned from paved to hard packed dirt. This was still ok for Helga as she is not a road bike and has a little tread on her tires. After I made it to Hösel things got interesting. The path got dirtier and muddier; soon I was offroading, I mean offroading for a city bike with thin tires, no shocks and panniers on. I ended up going the wrong way and ended up in a mud puddle under a bridge adjacent to the train tracks. I found my way and I was soon back on pavement and able to enjoy a smooth ride back home.


  

This is my first weekend at home so I made the most of it and got to bed at 7pm. 










1 comment: