Friday, May 7, 2010

May 5th: Heading off to the USA





Gill and I were up early. We said goodbye to her parents and went to pick up Tessa and Marija. Tessa lives very close to the boarder so it was really quick to get there. Our goal for the day was to go and visit the Boeing Everett Factory in Everett Washington. The Boeing Factory is the largest building in the world by volume at 13 million cubic meters; that’s 94 acres at 11 stories high!

This was my second visit to the Boeing Factory and it did not disappoint. We had a great tour guide who had some of the best muttonchops I have ever seen. He was really dramatic and well spoken; it made the greatness of the building and factory even easier to appreciate.

The first real sign of being in the USA was a cashier at a corner store refusing to accept my Canadian nickel. “this is America hun, your funny money is no good here”

After a brief stop at Wal-Mart we were off to the campsite. At the campsite we met a colourful character, we will call him Billy. Billy called us over to help him unload some folding chairs from the back of his 27’ powerboat. He then proceeded to tell us his story.

“dang government got done raised my taxes. I could not afford my house any more and I’m sure as hell not gonna sell my guns, boat n’ pickup truck to pay for taxes. So I sold my house. I’m a disabled veteran I can camp here for free I am sleeping in hotel Chevrolet tonight.”

Welcome to the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment